The Brătianu family was one of the longest running and most active families on the Romanian political stage, being present during the whole epoque between 1866 and 1947. The Florica Estate (as it was called at the time), is the result of the work of the two most important members of this family - Ion and his son, Ionel Brătianu. The domain, surrounded by the Ştefăneşti vineyards, came to be after the refurbishing of the old administrative manor into a proper country house, where important political decisions for Kingdom of Romania were taken.
The transformation of the estate began in 1858, when Ion C. Brătianu’s family decided to move to the countryside. The architectural complex as it can be seen today - with the manor, the farm, the chapel, the cellar, the train station and the astronomical observatory, all located in a vast landscape garden - was raised by Ionel Brătianu. It was constructed between 1889-1925 with the input of several architects. The most important transformation though, conducted after the plans of Petre Antonescu, took place between 1905-1925 and gave the estate the Neo-romanian appearance it has today.
“Florica Villa” is nowadays open for tourists as Brătianu Cultural Center, hosting various exhibitions and cultural activities.