Căciulaţi - Ghika Contribute to this monument

HML CODE
IF-II-a-B-15268
COUNTY
ILFOV
ADDRESS
sat CĂCIULAŢI; comuna MOARA VLĂSIEI, Str. Unirii 93
SETTLEMENT
Căciulaţi

FAMILIES
ARCHITECT
CRAFTSMEN
CURRENT USE
no current use
ACCESSIBLE
CONTACT

Academia Română

TEAM
2013: Leca Irina, Chiciudean Alina
The palace was built between 1830 and 1834 by Alexandru Dimitrie Ghika, ruler of Wallachia. Furnished in Empire fashion and surrounded by a vast Romantic garden with statues, fountains and pavilions, the palace housed numerous balls and diplomatic receptions.
 
During the Second World War, the palace served as refuge for the French Legation. Seized by the state in 1948, the entire surroundings are devastated. Passed among various institutions and repeatedly vandalized, the ensemble suffers numerous improper interventions and becomes seriously damaged.
 
In 1951, the domain passed to the Romanian Academy who wished to transform it into a rest and relaxation facility for its members, but the project has never been finalized. Currently, the ensemble is rarely used for film shootings or different events. The palace, the outbuildings and the garden still need to undergo restoration works.