Brâncovenești - Kendi - Kemény Contribute to this monument

HML CODE
MS-II-a-A-15616
COUNTY
MURES
ADDRESS
comuna Brâncovenești, sat Brâncovenești, Str.Castelului nr.215
SETTLEMENT
Brâncovenești
Ieciu (RO)
Delavrancea (RO)
MarosvécS (HU)
Vécs (HU)
Wetsch (DE)
FAMILIES
ARCHITECT
CRAFTSMEN
Sámulel Horváth (fountain craftsman)
CURRENT USE
touristic landmark
ACCESSIBLE
TEAM
2008. Niculescu Matei, Marin Adina, Rădescu Mihaela, Stamatoiu Anita
2012: Leca Irina
The castle of Brâncovenești is mentioned for the first time in the historical records in 1228. It was built on royal orders in the 13th century out of the ruins of a roman castrum. It is assumed that the building material consists of reclaimed roman blocks of stone. The building received its current shape following the construction works started in 1537 and completed 18 years later in 1555. This is also the date to which the renaissance decorative framing can be set.
In 1816 the castle underwent new modifications made by István Möller and commissioned by nobleman Miklós Kemény. Throughout the decades, the castle was owned by various noblemen families, the last being the Keménys - for almost 3 decades. 
 
The castle was nationalised on the 2nd of March 1949, during the Agrarian Reform, together with the whole assets of the nobiliary class in Transylvania. During the communist period it was misused as a prison, correctional facility, neuropsychiatric rehabilitation center. The sanitarium functioned in the building until 2014.