The Castle of Toplița belonging to the Urmánczy family was built between 1903-1906 on the banks of the Mureș river. The owner of that time, Jeromos Urmánczy, commissioned the Tiroleze architect Virgilio Giacomuzzi to build him a residence in the fashionable modern-secession style of the period, an exception even in the multicultural context of Transylvania.
Following the instauration of the communist regime, the residence together with all of Urmánczy family's assets were nationalised. The new function chosen for the building was that of a local hospital. This implied having the main salon, a great tall room, separated into two stories and the interior wooden frame staircase replaced with a similar concrete one.
In the 1970s the exterior of the building was also affected by changes, the main entrance under the tower was closed, the courtyard terrace was closed and the roof was modified. The 80s brought about the construction of a new hospital building near the former mansion, designed to satisfy the new standards of the period. As the hospital was extended more and more buildings were being erected, destroying the domain’s park.
No longer corresponding to the modern sanitary standards the castle was closed and abandoned till 1998, when it was taken over by the County Museum. Since then the building has housed an ethnographic section and the headquarters of the Căliman Rhapsody Dance Group.
In 2009 the legal heirs of the family obtained the building back from the state. Cultural activities have been performed in the building until 2013. Currently the owners cannot afford to invest in the property because of the high costs of restoration.